Sunday 30 June 2019

Two trees

Another hot but interesting riding day.  We have ridden north today, to the top of the world almost, or so it seemed. After a quick blast east to Almunecar, we got on a sweeping road, which as we got higher, got twistier and twistier. It was a hard enough ride for us, let alone the many cyclists we saw pushing hard up the inclines. 

In Olivar we had to stop whilst a large group of runners crossed the road. A policeman told me, whilst we waited, it was a race. Rather them than me in 30 degrees. 

At the top of the mountain, the views were just incredible. There are no places to stop to take it in though and the next bend keeps you focused on tarmac, rather than the vistas. I did stop once though. As I rounded a bend, there on the road in front of me, was a brown snake, about 80cm long I estimate. As I stopped, it slithered off, at great speed, into the verge. 

It seems that for most of today's ride we have been riding through olive groves.  We must have passed millions of them and we are still surrounded by them. Just like the quintas in Portugal or the Spanish wine houses, there are olive estates. I've never seen anything like it before.

Plenty of olive trees but the trees (threes) in the title, were, firstly, a Uk plated Triumph Rocket III and secondly, the three minutes I waited for Sanch near the bottom of the mountain. 

Once I get in a rhythm and am focused on the job in hand, I may as well be on my own. Sanch has his own pace through the twisty stuff and enjoys it just as much, it's just slower than mine. Fair play though, the Shadslow isn't really suited to those sorts of roads, so he does ok.

In fact he does more than ok, as he clocked up 50,000 miles on today's trip, though that carries it's own back story.

No comments:

Post a Comment